Virkon® S, the premier broad spectrum virucidal veterinary disinfectant, is recognised by industry and governments worldwide as a disinfectant of choice for livestock disease prevention and control. Recommended by "The Save the Gouldian Fund" for use in sprouting seeds for Lady Gouldian Finches, cage cleaning and dishware disinfecting.
Virkon® S has a unique formulation; no other disinfectant has the same powerful composition. In terms of efficacy Virkon® S has been proven highly effective against 65 strains of virus in over 19 viral families, 400 strains of bacteria and over 100 strains of fungi. This list of proven efficacy includes the major OIE List A diseases of concern; Avian Influenza (H5N1), Newcastle Disease, Classical Swine Fever (Hog Cholera) and Foot and Mouth Disease.
Virkon® S’ versatility provides the flexible solution for; surface, water and aerial disinfection, in hard water, on porous surfaces, at low temperatures and in the presence of organic challenge.
- UK DEFRA Approved - Foot and Mouth Disease, Swine Vesicular Disease, Diseases of Poultry and General Orders
- Powerful - independently proven effective against viral, bacterial and fungal disease causing organisms including the lethal H5N1 Avian Influenza Virus.
- Fast-acting - a one percent solution of Virkon® S is independently proven to kill bacteria with contact times as low as five minutes and the tough to kill parvovirus in ten minutes or less.
- Versatile - surface, equipment, vehicle, footdip, water delivery system and aerial disinfection.
- Independently proven effective on porous surfaces, in hard water, at low temperatures and in the presence of organic challenge.
- Readily soluble in tap water , Virkon® S dissolves into a pink solution.
- An environmentally acceptable product with an exceptional safety profile towards man and animals when used and disposed of as instructed on the label.
- Transport and storage - being a powdered disinfectant formulation Virkon® S can be swiftly transported by air and can be stored for long periods making it the ideal choice for stockpiling in bulk.
Mode of Action
DuPont™ Virkon® S does not elicit a specific toxicological effect on the target organism, instead it achieves deactivation and/or destruction of the target organism through general oxidative disruption of key structures and compounds vital to normal activity (e.g. proteins and lipids).
There is no evidence to suggest that bacterial disease causing organisms develop resistance towards Virkon® S as opposed to other disinfectant types.
Virkon® S is meticulously controlled during the manufacture process to be a balanced, stabilized blend of peroxygen compounds, surfactant, organic acids and an inorganic buffer system.
Do not allow Virkon® S disinfectant solutions to enter watercourses.
Dispose of Virkon® S, disinfectant solutions directly to foul sewer.
Independent studies have shown that diluted Virkon® S should not, when used as directed, pose any threat to sewage treatment facilities.
Please refer to the product Material Safety Datasheet (MSDS) for detailed information on product disposal.
For more product info please visit http://www2.dupont.com/DAHS_EMEA/en_GB/products/disinfectants/virkon_s/index.html
1 tablet or 1 tsp (5g) to 1.25 liters of water - for sprouting
1 tablet or 1 tsp (5g) to a gallon of drinking water for minor bacterial issues
1 tablet or 1 tsp (5g) to 1 pint of water for cleaning and disinfecting
Virkon® S has a unique formulation; no other disinfectant has the same powerful composition. In terms of efficacy Virkon® S has been proven highly effective against 65 strains of virus in over 19 viral families, 400 strains of bacteria and over 100 strains of fungi. This product is a great way to safely sprout seeds for your Lady Gouldian finches. Also great for cage cleaning and soaking dirty dishes. No need to rinse. Very safe in it's diluted form.